Apple iPhone 18 Pro To Debut ‘Game-Changer’ Satellite Upgrade, Report Says
The next iPhones are likely to include a hardware upgrade which will change the current satellite features in key ways.
David Phelan, Senior Contributor
Forbes
3 min read
7/10
Key Takeaways
Apple's iPhone 18 Pro, expected September 2026, may feature a custom satellite modem enabling two-way voice calls and data transfers up to 1 Mbps, according to Forbes.
Current iPhones (iPhone 14–17) only offer Emergency SOS and Messages via satellite through a partnership with Globalstar, limited to text and low bandwidth.
Apple invested $1.5 billion in Globalstar in 2024 to expand its LEO satellite constellation, laying groundwork for the upgraded hardware.
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted Apple's satellite ambitions extend beyond emergencies to reduce reliance on cellular networks, potentially competing with SpaceX's Starlink direct-to-cell service.
The satellite upgrade is initially exclusive to the Pro model, with a potential rollout to standard iPhones in 2027 or later.
Apple's next flagship iPhone is reportedly getting a satellite upgrade that could make it the first mainstream smartphone with two-way satellite voice calls. According to a Forbes report on May 24, 2026, the iPhone 18 Pro will debut a hardware-level satellite upgrade that dramatically expands current capabilities beyond emergency SOS and limited texting. This 'game-changer' update promises to transform how users communicate in remote areas, potentially enabling real-time voice calls, high-resolution image sharing, and even basic internet browsing via satellite. The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, claims the upgrade involves a custom satellite modem that supports higher bandwidth and lower latency than the current Globalstar-based system. Current iPhones—starting with the iPhone 14 in 2022—offer Emergency SOS via satellite, allowing users to text emergency services when out of cellular range. With iOS 18, Apple added Messages via satellite for sending texts to any contact, but the system remains text-only and slow. The iPhone 18 Pro's hardware overhaul is said to support two-way voice calls, push-to-talk features, and data transfers of up to 1 Mbps, which could handle standard web tasks. The upgrade builds on Apple's partnership with Globalstar, which provides the satellite constellation and ground infrastructure. In 2024, Apple committed $1.5 billion to Globalstar for network expansion, and the new modem likely leverages improved low-Earth orbit (LEO) satellites. Additionally, T-Mobile's separate partnership with SpaceX's Starlink for direct-to-cell service may influence Apple's strategy, though sources say Apple is pursuing a proprietary solution rather than piggybacking on existing carriers. The iPhone 18 Pro is expected to launch in September 2026, with the satellite feature debuting as an exclusive Pro model differentiator before trickling down to standard models in later years. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously noted that Apple's satellite ambitions extend beyond emergency services, aiming to reduce dependence on traditional cellular networks. The upgrade could be a game-changer for outdoor enthusiasts, travelers, and disaster responders, but also poses questions about spectrum licensing and potential fees. For now, Apple has not confirmed the report, but the Forbes article aligns with patent filings and supply chain whispers. If realized, the iPhone 18 Pro satellite upgrade would mark the first time a major smartphone maker integrates full-duplex satellite communication as a standard hardware feature, setting a new benchmark for the industry. The move also pressures Android rivals—Samsung, Google, and Huawei—to accelerate their own satellite plans. With the upgrade, Apple could erode the competitive advantage of dedicated satellite phones and make connectivity a key selling point in regions with poor cellular coverage. The next milestone to watch is Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June 2026, where software details of the satellite system may emerge. The iPhone 18 Pro's satellite upgrade is still a rumor, but it underscores the growing convergence of smartphones and space-based communications.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Forbes report claims the iPhone 18 Pro will include a hardware satellite upgrade that enables two-way voice calls, faster data transfers (up to 1 Mbps), and potentially internet browsing via satellite, replacing the current text-only system.
The iPhone 18 Pro is expected to launch in September 2026, with the satellite upgrade debuting exclusively on the Pro model before potentially expanding to standard models in later years.
Starting with iPhone 14, Apple introduced Emergency SOS via satellite for texting emergency services. In iOS 18, Messages via satellite was added, allowing text communication with any contact, but it is limited to text and works only in areas without cellular or Wi-Fi.
Apple partners with Globalstar, a satellite communications company, to provide the LEO satellite constellation and ground infrastructure. Apple committed $1.5 billion to Globalstar in 2024 to expand the network.
According to the Forbes report, the upgraded satellite modem is initially exclusive to the iPhone 18 Pro. It may appear on standard iPhone models in subsequent generations, following Apple's typical feature rollout strategy.